Sunday 4 October 2015

The future of this blog

The blog betting advice commenced on 8 December 2009 and will close no later than 7 December this year. We are currently showing an accumulative profit of 1,540 points (+20.6%). Whatever happens in the remaining months, it will mean a significant profit accrued over the six year operational period. 

There are a number of reasons for the service ending. Firstly the restrictive practices of bookmakers, e.g. the removal of the BOG (best odds guaranteed) concession from many accounts. Add to this the 'virtual' closing of most of my accounts - by this I mean the amounts one can win when taking a price being reduced to ridiculously low levels. William Hill, for one, allow me bets TO WIN £5 on many of their early price races. This is a grossly unfair practice. Bookmakers should not be allowed to take unlimited bets from punters who consistently lose and virtually no bets at all from anyone who shows any betting knowledge/skills. If I'm that good why not lay me £50 and then change the price? 

So there we have it. I'll continue to publish bets I've had, however small, for the rest of the flat season. I will continue not to quote prices, however, offered by a bookmaker who has (completely) closed my account. A growing list. 

Bets for Pontefract Monday will follow this post.

Good luck with your future wagers. 

Sent from my iPad mini

10 comments:

  1. Can't believe you're closing the blog man! I'd be happy to get your bets on, your analysis is spotless and your advice has helped my bettign immensly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike I thank for your blog to date I understand your decision. Great insight and would love you to reconsider

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, whatever you'll do I want to tell this has always been a great blog, and helped me and many others to make decisions about betting strategy. That's talent and hard work. You've got smooth writing style, which is easy-to-read, that's international material. If you decide to keep any blog in the future, just let us know about it, I'm in! Greetings from Finland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike,

    Many thanks for running the blog over the last 6 years. To be honest you have done pretty well to keep this going without ridiculous restrictions on your bets.

    Can't blame you at all but it is hard to get on even in some shops. I've been refused modest bets on 'bad ew' races in both Betfred & Coral shops in the past year.
    Going racing is wonderful fun but the industry is slowly dying and I would expect significantly more track closures to go with Folkestone & Hereford in the next decade and the growth of low grade all weather racing (which will make up more than a third of flat meetings next year) is truly depressing.

    Good luck with the Tennis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike, this is very sad news, but understandable given the cowardice of the bookies. It's shameful that your hard work and skill is punished and mug punting ignored and positively welcomed. One man beats the bookies. What about spending your spare time on writing a book on the subject. Good luck in whatever you decide to do next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only been following you a short while. Impressed. Will be sorry to see you go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mike,
    I've only been following your blog for a couple of months and can see why other people who latched on to your good advice continued to do so and have offered their best wishes for whatever you do in the future.
    I would like to add my hope that you find yourself able to carry on the good work in some form or other and all goes well for you in the neverending battle between "them" and "us",
    David.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have only been following what you write for the past two years. Recommendations can be right, recommendations can be wrong, but what is written should always be a good read; what you produce is certainly that. I have ignored the horse racing material (I just won't bet on four-legged animals), and have looked more closely at your tennis writings. I have enjoyed these greatly, and I have learned a great deal from you at the same time. I'll buy you lunch if you are ever in Newbury.

    ReplyDelete
  9. TO Mike Bell

    What do you know about best sure bet bookmakers ??? Did you used it before?

    ReplyDelete